So what?

This is my blog where I showcase my handmade resin jewelry pieces and offer information and tips on great ways to work with resin. Please feel free to email me if you have questions!



Why Resin Chica? My absolute favorite material to work with is Resin because it is beautifully transparent, gets fussy when not taken good care of, particular, can be molded and changed to adapt, and will stubbornly stay put until it gets it's way. Only certain people can work well with Resin. I am Resin Chica. (Yes I am also Free2bMommy) Resin Chica is my Sasha Fierce!



Tuesday, March 2, 2010

An easy way to sand down your resin pieces





You have created your resin pieces and pushed them out of the molds, but they are rough around the edges...literally! I have outlined below a great way to sand down your pieces to the smoothness you desire. Pics above help too!


1.) Buy a pack of mixed grit waterproof sandpaper. (You can get these at any home depot or the like)

2.) These packs have assorted grits from 220 (very fine) to 600 (ultra fine). This is the type of paper that you can use in water. Why would you want to use the sandpaper in water you ask? Using a shallow pan of water like the one above helps keep the tiny resin dust from getting in the air and into your lungs.

3.) I found that if you cut a small piece of the sandpaper and wrap it around a nail file you can maneuver it with great ease, then when you are done you can dispose of the used sand paper grit. Cutting the paper down will help you to save the areas that go unused for your next project. I have had the same pack for a while now.

4.) Try different grits and see which one give you the outcome you want. I use the 220 because I like to sand down the sides pretty good.

Resin Chica



No comments:

Post a Comment