So what?

This is my blog where I showcase my handmade resin jewelry pieces and offer information and tips on great ways to work with resin. Please feel free to email me if you have questions!



Why Resin Chica? My absolute favorite material to work with is Resin because it is beautifully transparent, gets fussy when not taken good care of, particular, can be molded and changed to adapt, and will stubbornly stay put until it gets it's way. Only certain people can work well with Resin. I am Resin Chica. (Yes I am also Free2bMommy) Resin Chica is my Sasha Fierce!



Sunday, April 11, 2010

How to "seal" your decals for embedding

There are many ways to embed decals in resin. Some artists choose to buy a certain type of paper to print on, others may use preprinted pre-coated decals. My method of preference is to print the decals or pictures straight from my own color printer and then seal the decals and embed them.

Why would I need to seal the decals? If you place ordinary porous paper into resin, the resin seeps straight through it, causing transparency and picture distortion. Not good. When you seal the decal, you are preventing any resin from touching the actual paper, by forming a protective barrier.

The basics to this are simple...
excuse the unmanicured nails!! Its hard to keep good nails when you craft often.

Supplies needed- paper, scissors, Mod Podge or similar sealant, wax paper, and sponge brush.

Step 1
Print your preferred picture of decal on your printer. I can only speak for an ink jet printer but I think it should work with most.

Step 2
Cut the decal down allowing a little bit of white space surrounding the decal. This helps working with the decal easier without so much extra paper. I usually do many to a page in rows and then I cut across each row. This makes many rectangular pieces of paper which are super easy to work with.

Step 3
On top of your wax paper apply first coat of Mod Podge to front of decal. I suggest the 1 inch sponge brush because I like the way it applies and they are cheap, you may choose to use a different type. There are different Mod Podge finishes but I use the matte finish because once added into the resin, the resin creates a brilliant and shiny effect all on its own. That is why I love it!

I usually paint across the pieces only with a few brushes then I leave it to dry. I will appear "white" at first, but if your brush it as thin and evenly as you can, it will dry clear. Make sure not to over do it with the first layer, you don't want to over saturate the paper creating a "ruffling" effect.


Step 4
Once the first side is dry, flip the decal over and apply the first coat to the back, then allow to dry.

Repeat Steps 3 and 4 one more time for maximum protection.
It takes about 5 minutes to dry per side. Make sure one side is dry before flipping.

Step 5
Once all layers have been applied and are dry, cut down the decals to eliminate the extra white space surrounding the decal. Many artist use transparency when working with elaborate decals to prevent over cutting or distorting the image.

Before embedding I usually brush one last light coat of Mod Podge along the edges.

You can see an added "step" to my personal decal prepping...I'm soooooo classy!!!

All of these steps usually help to protect the decal, but it will be very obvious should the sealing not work.
I hope this is helpful! Let me know!
Happy Sealing!

Resin Chica

2 comments:

  1. I think the Bud Light helped with the process. Beer helps with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm drinking a beer while trying mine LOL I've tried everything to avoid the "bleeding" of my pics. I am going to attempt to use mod podge.

    I saw that you live in Houston, I do as well :)

    ReplyDelete